I saw this post on how to make baby washcloths about 3-4 months ago. My computer has been acting up and I lost the link to that post...if you are reading this and you made baby washcloths and linked up to the linky parties, please email me and I will give you proper credit. :-)
I have 2 grand babies (1 boy and 1 girl) and 1 bonus grand baby (a girl), so when I saw a post on making baby washcloths, I just knew I wanted to make some!! The whole idea is to make the baby washcloths 'sturdier' and softer. Love it!
I had planned to just go buy terry cloth by the yard, but when Target had these on clearance - $1.40 for 5, I went ahead and bought them. I got a girl set and a boy set. It probably would have been cheaper to buy by the yard, but I wouldn't have the different colors...if I was going to make tons of them, I would go get terry cloth by the yard...but these worked great, and it gave me a starting 'size'.
I went ahead and ironed them, so they would be really flat....I realized why that smart lady made these in the first place...they are so flimsy and not square at all!!
I measured a 8.5" square on my grid paper and cut it out to make a pattern. I laid it on my fabric and cut.
I planned on making 7 girlie washcloths and 3 boyish washcloths. Each child would get 3 and I would get to keep 1 for my house. :-)
Cut the tags off the washcloths to get them out of the way.
Pin one the pieces of material that you cut to one of the washcloths, right sides together.
**I took pictures of different washcloths as I was sewing them, so the pictures are of different fabrics, but you will get the point :-)
Sew around the edge...I made up my square as I went along because the washcloth was not square and the fabric went out a little further than the washcloth...doesn't have to be perfect. Leave a section open so that you can turn the washcloth right side out....I did this on a corner first, I'll show you later where it's easier to leave an opening.
Snip the corners so when you turn in right side out, there's not a lot of fabric in the corners.
Cut off any excess of fabric, either the washcloth or the material.
Turn right side out.
In this picture, you can see I left the opening in the middle of one side...this is much easier to finish off. Once you turn your fabric right side out, push the corners out real good, then iron. The opening will fold down.
The first one I did, I pinned the opening shut. If you make the opening in the middle of a side, there is no need to pin shut...just iron.
I did a finishing seam all the way around. This closes the opening and make a stronger seam all the way around. Here they are....I.love.them.
Each one is so cute and so sturdy.
Adding a piece of fabric really gives the washcloth 'body'.
Oh, I used flannel fabric.
Here's Thomas the Train!!
Can't wait to use the 1 I'm keeping!! ha!
I added a bow to the girl's and a knot to the boy's...these are going in their Valentine's baskets.
So, so cute!!! Going to have to make some 'grown up' ones too!
Supplies - I already had the girlie flannel. I bought the Thomas the Train material, but only used about 1/3 of what I bought..so with the washcloths I spent - $3.50 (for 10 washcloths!!!)
That's only 35 cents a piece - can I get a WooHoo!!!
Making something my grand kids will use and hopefully love = Pricele$$
I party each week with the following ladies....please go check out their blogs and PARTY ON!!!