Sunday, November 7, 2010

Decorated Chocolate Chip Cookies

My Bonus Daughter is having a baby girl in January and her baby shower is this weekend. I made her a Baby Rag Quilt for her gift...you can see it here. She asked me to make her cake for the shower, but I knew she really liked chocolate chip cookies better than cake, so I asked her if she would rather have decorated cookies instead...she said yes! So, I spent the day baking and decorating.....

I made the Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe because I don't have a 'special' cookie recipe. I baked them in baking pans so I could cut them out with cookie cutters into shapes when cooled.

I used cookie cutters in the shape of a heart, baby bottle, bear and baby carriage. I let the cookie cool for about 10/15 minutes before I cut with the cutter.


I let them cool for another 15 minutes before transfering them to cooling racks to cool completely. Then I transfered them back to the pans (I washed them so they were clean) so that I could decorate them and transport them.





While the cookies cooled, I made the buttercream icing...grab the recipe here. I separated part to keep white and I colored the rest pink.



I use cups to hold my decorating bag up while I load them with icing. I roll the top of the bag over the edge of the cup and fill...keeps them upright and easier to load.





Keep a wet paper towel over your bowls to keep the icing from 'crusting over' while you work.


Here are the heart shaped cookies decorated.


Swirls......


Criss cross, dots and peace signs......




Ava will be her name...


A for Amber (mom) & Ava...


Baby Carriages.....


Baby bottles....



and Teddy Bears....


Here they are all decorated...those things on the edges are little measuring cups turned upside down....I needed to cover the cookies with plastic wrap and I didn't want them messed up!

The cups will keep the plastic wrap from touching the cookies.




Here they are displayed at the Baby Shower. Lesson learned...the carriage and the teddy bear were not structurally strong and many broke in half. :-(








Supplies to make cookies - approx. $40

Time spent making cookies - 6 hours

Getting to make something for my Bonus Daughter and her unborn child - Pricele$$


Sumo Sweet Stuffmmm buttonKeeping It SimpleBWS tips buttonMaking PhotobucketThe DIY Show Off DIY ClubPhotobucketUndertheTableandDreaming http://www.thegypsyscorner.com/Show and Tell GreenMake it Yours @ My Backyard Eden http://www.thethriftyhome.comWallet-Friendly Wednesday HookingupwithHoHgiveaways Beyond The Picket FenceGet your craft on Thurs. Katie's Nesting Spot Chic on a Shoestring Decorating  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/The Boardwalk BragfestBCD 125Fine Craft GuildKatie's Nesting Spot

12 comments:

  1. Love love it !! Great tutorial and lovely and BEAUTIFUL cookies !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Shantel. If you make a family letter wall I'd love to see it. The cookies turned out great and looks so yummy. Chocolate chips and frosting, I can't think of anything much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! They look really cute!

    I would LOVE for you to link up to my What's Cooking Wednesday!

    http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/11/from-scratch-pumpkin-pie-1110-whats.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look just fabulous. How much better tasting than ordinary cookies. Your designs are sooo cute. I bet they were the biggest hit at the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost too pretty to eat! Notice I said almost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are darling. I think that you forgot to include the link to the Boardwalk Bragfest, however. Would you mind showing the link? Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. My kids are looking at those cookies and salivating. I hope the shower was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, these look scruptious. Thank you for including the recipe & linking the up at the DIY CRAFT TUTORIAL LINKY PARTY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, yum! Those are the cutest cookie cutouts. I'll bet they were a big hit.

    Thanks for linking to my party. It's fun to see what you link up each week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable! I'm sure they'll be a hit at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was so helpful! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are just adorable Decorated Chocolate Chip Cookies. So affordable and easy favors that I can make for my bachelorette bash! Thanks for the idea. I would be throwing this bash on a budget at the local roof top event space San Francisco. If you have more ideas, please share here.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment because they are Pricele$$ to me!!